STOP: c00002e2 Directory Services could not start because of the following error: a device attached to the system is not functioning.Error status: 0xc0000001.
Please shutdown this system and reboot into Directory Services Restore Mode, check the event log for more detailed information.
This was my only Domain Controller and no backup so I had to solve this problem.
1. Boot into Directory Services Restore Mode (F8)2. NTDSUTIL:
· activate instance NTDS
· Error: Could not initialize the Jet engine: Jet Error -501. Failed to open DIT for AD DS/LDS instance NTDS. Error -2147418113
· quit3. ESENTUTL /g C:\Windows\NTDS\ntds.dit
· ESENTUTL result: successful (no DB corruption)4. ESENTUTL /p C:\Windows\NTDS\ntds.dit
· ESENTUTL result: successful (no DB corruption)5. Event log:
· Error 1003: Active Directory Domain Services could not be initialized. The directory service cannot recover from this error. Restore the local directory service from backup media. Error value: -501 JET_errLogFileCorrupt, Log file is corrupt
· Error 465: NTDS (2156) Corruption was detected during soft recovery in logfile C:\Windows\NTDS\edb.log. The failing checksum record is located at position END. Data not matching the log-file fill pattern first appeared in sector 6697 (0x00001A29). This logfile has been damaged and is unusable.
· Error 454: NTDS (2256) Database recovery/restore failed with unexpected error -501.6. Rename edb.log to edb.log.old and restart system
· Result: same STOP error
Solution to this problem: rename all *.log files in C:\Windows\NTDS folder and restart system.